Global Conversations is the name of our Facebook discussion forum, engaging more than three million people and counting. We curate content specifically designed to spark lively, spirited discussion on controversial topics – from innovative technologies to people fighting for free speech around the globe.
How does this advance our mission?
By creating an online space where all ideas are welcome and dialogue is encouraged, we’re exposing our visitors that hail from all corners of the world.
Extremist ideology targets vulnerable people who frequently don't have access to global ideas, freedom of expression, or the right to speak, look, and act differently. These freedoms are included in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 19, but are often neglected or outrightly suppressed by authoritarian regimes and those seeking control. Eighteen of 23 countries included in the MENA region had serious threats to freedom of the press and freedom of expression, with MENA countries dominating the top 10% of media-oppressed countries. This oppression drives out competing view points, and silences human rights and political dissenters. It creates a vacuum for extremist ideas to thrive.
We get it. E-mails from charities & NGOs are a little boring. We want to fix that with the Global Conversations newsletter.
Every two weeks, in addition to updates on the genuinely cool stuff we’re doing at IBB, you’ll receive snarky, bitesize news on freedom, human rights, and other current affairs. This time, you’ll actually want to read it. Look out for:
- The World at a Glance, a snarky roundup of the latest news in human rights, free speech, and the Middle East.
- Dictators Corner, casting a light-hearted but critical eye at their doings around the world.
- Freedom Watch, giving timely updates on both positive and negative trends around the world, with a special focus on the Middle East, Africa, and Central Asia.
- Humans of IBB, featuring the people who are bringing the Enlightenment to life in the Middle East and Central Asia.
- Program Updates, spotlighting the latest news and progress of IBB’s work in our core programs
You’ll be able to help us change the world too. Every time you refer a friend to this Global Conversations newsletter, we will directly translate previously inaccessible content for those who need it, courtesy of our sponsors.
Refer one person and we’ll translate 100 words of content. Three referrals will translate 500 words, and it is skywards from there. The more you spread the message, the faster our community will grow, and the more we can do for the world.
Please consider subscribing below.